PITTSBORO, NC – Children and adults who are eager to get out of the house, enjoy spring weather, stretch legs, and read a book can do all that during the Downtown Pittsboro StoryBook Walk. Main Street Pittsboro, in collaboration with Chatham County Public Libraries, is pleased to present this free, self-guided event from Saturday, April 9 through Saturday, April 16.
Continuing the rabbit theme that Chatham County is known for, pages from “Wolfie the Bunny” will be visible in the windows of participating downtown businesses*. The first pages of the book will be on display at the Welcome Center at 37 Hillsboro Street. Maps that illustrate the walking path needed to read subsequent and sequential pages of the book will be available at the Welcome Center as well.
To conclude the week, on Saturday, April 16 at 11am, a story time led by Katy Henderson, Chatham County Public Libraries Youth Services Librarian, will be held at the Page Vernon Pocket Park at 110 Hillsboro Street. Ms. Henderson will read “The Rain Came Down”. In case of actual rainy weather, the story time will be held at The Welcome Center at 37 Hillsboro Street.
“The StoryBook Walk is a wonderful way for young children to hone literacy skills while walking around downtown Pittsboro as they read along,” said Main Street Pittsboro’s chair Maria Parker-Lewis. “This family-friendly activity has been very popular in other towns across the nation. We encourage families to bring walking shoes, reading glasses, mind the traffic lights and cross walks, and enjoy this book while they get to know the historic downtown.”
In “Wolfie the Bunny” by Ame Dyckman with illustrations by Zachariah OHora, the Bunny family has adopted a wolf son, and daughter Dot is the only one who realizes Wolfie can–and might–eat them all up! For the story time book “The Rain Came Down” by David Shannon, raindrops set off a chain reaction of temper tantrums in a number of small businesses, but a sudden break in the clouds makes the bad moods melt away. Both books are appropriate for readers aged 4-8 years old and are available at Chatham County Public Libraries.
The Downtown Pittsboro StoryBook Walk is a free activity for all participants and is accessible for the full week.
* Participating Businesses as of 4/7/22, in the order to read the book:
- 1 – Welcome Center – 37 Hillsboro Street
- 2 – Studio 17, New Karma for Old Threads – 17 Hillsboro Street
- 3 – Chatham Historical Museum – 9 Hillsboro Street
- 4 – Pittsboro Gallery of Arts – 44A Hillsboro Street
- 5 – Southern Threads – 68 Hillsboro Street
- 6 – Liquidambar Gallery and Gifts – 80 Hillsboro Street
- 7 – Carolina Cravings – 84 Hillsboro Street
- 8 – Pittsboro Youth Theatre – 18 E. Salisbury Street
- 9 – M2 Graphics – 106 Hillsboro Street
- 10 – Postal Fish Company – 75 W. Salisbury Street
- 11 – Vixen Vintage – 107 Hillsboro Street
- 12 – Circle City Books – 121 Hillsboro Street